Tuesday, February 19, 2008

“Britannica rules”


Phil,

I just finished reading Richard Gwyn's excellent biography of Sir John Eh MacDonald and your sentiments are exactly those of Georges-Étienne Cartier and the other Canadiens who supported Confederation. Federalism provided Canadiens with the kind of protection needed for the French language to survive in North America.

Great book by the way.

David at uni dot ca


-----Original Message-----

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:28:45

As a francophone, I thank God that in the end, Great Britain won on the Plains of Abraham because I am convinced that the British were far more flexible to accommodate the French than the French would have been towards the English. As a Nation, we were able to develop so much more with Britain... so I also share the sentiment that as far as our Federation is concerned, "Britannica rules”. This is not taking away my pride as a Francophone, it's simply a logical conclusion. I am not French... I am a multicultural bilingual French-Canadian. Huge difference!

Phil at uni dot ca

No comments: